I have friends going through graduation at the moment, and with my own coming up in August I thought this would be a good opportunity to share my wisdom/opinions on how to dress for graduation! Obviously you can wear whatever you want – after all it is YOUR day to celebrate! Dye your hair blue for all I care, (sarcastic font needed – I am actually planning on doing this) BUT if you are struggling and in need of guidance, here are some tips to get you started!
1. Don’t experiment with the latest trends, keep it minimal and classic. These pictures will most likely end up on your parents mantelpiece and the subject of email forwarding for the next 20 years, you don’t want to look back and think “how did I think that was cool?” Keep it timeless!
2. While you’re keeping your dress classic, play it up (if you want) by matching your accessories with your regalia. I’m pretty sure (40% sure) that my hood will be dark blue, therefore I might wear something subtle like blue nail polish, or blue shoes (which wont be in photos) but will make add some fun.
3. Pockets will be your best friends. Carrying a bag or purse around all day will be annoying, and look weird wrapped around your regalia. Making sure you chose a dress with pockets with room for the essentials (phone, lipstick)
4. Don’t wear stilettos – unless you’re an absolute pro. They look cute, but can you handle parading up and down all day in them? Opt for flats, or for wide heeled shoes. These will be MUCH more comfortable.
5. Don’t wear exciting shoulders or sleeves. These A) wont be seen under your regalia and B) will bulk you up to resemble the hulk… cuuuute. If you want to have a fun party dress, chose one where the party is on the hem, not the sleeves.
6. Again with the bulk, stick to slim and soft fits. Poofy dresses will make you look 10x bigger under all that regalia fabric – especially from behind! And there ain’t no hiding while walking across that stage!
Do you have graduation coming up? What are you planning on wearing? Or if yours has been, what did you wear? Any tips and tricks? Let me know below xx